Monday, December 12, 2011

Day 17: Something I'm Proud Of

I am most proud of being me.

I don't say it to sound conceited, but I am pretty awesome, and I'm very proud of that.

Why do I say this? Let's go over some stats:
-Child of a single mother
-Grew up without a father (or real male influence for that matter)
-Welfare kid raised mostly in NYC housing
-Have taken on a great amount of responsibility from a young age
-Graduated from one of the top schools in the city (as well as the country)
-I have my bachelors, and masters, and have been working in my profession since 23.

Based on my humble beginnings, there's a lot of places I should've ended up. The statistics were not in my favor to achieve what I have done in this almost 27 years of life (...and we all know what the stats say I should be doing with my life). But, by the grace of God and having a strong mother, grandmother, and various teachers over the years who kept me on track, my narrative is different than what the outside world would have projected for me. And for that, I am extremely proud. I hope and pray that as I dive deeper into my profession and the purpose that God has for my life, that I can use my life as a testament to those coming up after me that your story doesn't have to be what the masses have made it to be. Your story can be different. It won't be easy, but its not impossible.

This is what I am most proud of. :)

No comments: