One of my favorite films is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. My favorite scene in the film is when Indiana Jones is faced with crossing this unfathomable pass from one cliff to another in quest of the Holy Grail. In a moment of ultimate faith, Indy steps out and his path is made straight before him. In my life, this has become my image of ultimate faith. When things seem at their most bleak, most impossible, when there is no where else to turn, it is faith in God that truly makes a way out of no way. The path that God creates before us may not come the way we envisioned or expected, but he will never leave us.
As I embark on a new year in my life, both in age and in time, I have been thrown into a deeper space of thought on life and self. Somewhere between current life circumstances and the desires of my heart, I am caught trying to navigate these two very different worlds. I wish I could say that at minimum I've found some sort of acceptable balance between these areas, but that would be a lie. Instead, I feel I'm caught in the two steps forward, three steps back cycle, with current circumstances taking precedence over the vision I believe God has created for my life. More often than not, faith seems like a fleeting concept. Both my body and my heart are weary. The "Lord, something's gotta give because this isn't working" conversation seems to permeate many of my talks with God.
Everyone's holy grail looks different. For Indy, the holy grail was literal. For others, it may be more dire circumstances- jobs, homes, health, addiction. For me, I am searching for permanence, stability, freedom, a place to belong and be, a home and family (in multiple senses of those words), a place to love and be loved- I'm searching to put an end to those cycles in the lives of both myself and my family that seem to keep us from living in the fullness of life God has for us. From childhood, I was taught that "faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Now, the question becomes, do I have the faith to take the leap of faith and trust that despite circumstances, fears, and obstacles, Christ will always make a way and answer prayer?
Am I ready to take the leap of faith?

No comments:
Post a Comment