Today is August 31st, which for many signals the end of the summer vacation, and the beginning of a new school year. This year for me is particularly different since I am starting at a new school teaching 11st grade US History, Advisory and an elective course which I'm trying to make into a spoken word class. Its a bittersweet moment- the gaining of new opportunities but the loss of the familiarity and relationships that came with my old job. I'm going to miss my students; the chance to guide them to graduation and beyond, to see them grow and mature, to guide them through the day to day... I miss my babies. I don't regret my decision to leave, but it doesn't make it an easy one by any means.
This new opportunity affords me the chance to further educate myself, develop, and grow within this profession, as well as work with a group of students who don't have the same opportunities as my last group of students. I know I'll develop new relationships, and have new "babies", and God-willing have the opportunity to impact new lives. Teaching is not just a job for me, it is the chance to breathe life into each body that sits in my classroom, life through education.
----------------------------------------------------
Education is imperative. It is a non-negotiable. It is the prerequisite to the rest of one's life. Education or the lack thereof can open windows or slam doors shut. Growing up, education, specifically college was a non-option. It wasn't something that I was beaten over the head with. Rather, it was a matter-of-fact reality of life. Watching shows like The Cosby Show and A Different World made college seem exciting and desirable. Knowing my mother and grandmother's sacrifices to be college educated showed me the importance of education. Admittedly, it makes it difficult to truly grasp why college, let alone high school, becomes an "option" in this day and age. A bachelor's degree has become the new high school diploma. There are jobs out there today that won't even look at you if you don't have a master's degree.
A large part of the reason as to why I teach and form the relationships I create with my students is because I know how important education is. I teach not just for my students to learn a set of facts, but to also learn about life and themselves. I form personal relationships with them in the hopes of making my "product" relevant to their lives. Education broadens not just your opportunities, but your perspective in life. It challenges you. It stretches you. It makes you a more well-rounded person if you let it. So in my conversations with my students, I work to show them how the point A of education can get them to point B, the rest of their lives. I understand that traditional college may not be for everyone, but you have to at minimum graduate high school and pursue some sort of career training outside of high school.
Its because of the importance of a college degree that college should be a lot cheaper here in the states. (another conversation for another time...)
As I prepare to embark on another school year, I am reflective on the importance of education, and what methodologies I can use to bring this knowledge and realization to my classroom. Wish me luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment