Sunday, January 4, 2009

Missions Is Not An Option...



The Backstory

There I was, 4:30am on Tues., Dec. 30th, driving on through the desolate streets of Brooklyn (Eastern Pkwy to be exact), on my to The World Missions Summit (TWMS) in Cincinnati, OH. This was the beginning of my 13 hour journey. It obviously was divinely meant for me to go because 1) I didn't know about this until maybe 2 weeks prior (if that), 2) my registration was paid for, and 3) after I agreed to drive my friend there, she was able to get in touch with a church group that was going, thus only leaving me to drive the hour to Jersey instead of the 12 hours to Cincinnati as the only driver. God is good!

The Shift
Prior to TWMS, missions in my mind was those select people of God, ordained to travel to the remote and dangerous areas of the world (ie- the nether-regions, or the underbellies of the Earth as I like to call it) to live a life of service to the kingdom through spreading the Word to those who have never heard the power of the gospel proclaimed. ...kind of a high and holy vision huh? It was like, God bless those who are called for such service, but I'm going to stay right here in my malaria free, toilet flushing, indoor plumbing, electricity and supermarket filled area of the world.... thanks! lol. However, over the course of the past week, I've had a complete paradigm shift- Missions Is Not An Option, Its A Mandate!
What does that mean...?
First of all, it ties back to the fact that as believers, it is our job, our duty, or Mandate, to spread the good news to the world. Many people, including myself, have been hoarders of the good news because of fear- of rejection, losing friendships, being branded the crazy Christian girl/guy, argument, controversy... you name it, there's a reason. Yet, as good as God has been to me, how dare I keep it to myself, or only share with other Christians.
In addition....
Missions is not just in some remote area of the world. The missions field is all around us. It is in our homes, our jobs, schools, the marketplace... its everywhere. And for some, it will involve travelling 35 hours by plane to live in the far areas of the world. Maybe for someone else, its another city or the countryside in the US, or London, Paris, Berlin. Every person has a different calling. (although if it is my calling to be out there in the bush, God's going to have to come down himself with the baby angels and some scrolls telling me that this is indeed where I'm supposed to go lol)

The Question
So how do I adopt a spirit of boldness? How do it stomp out all of these fears and insecurities that always hold me back? How do I become more missions minded? I know that God has a plan for everyone. And as I seek Him regarding this (and other things), He will give me everything I need to make my life a missions field. Hmm... I think God has some interesting things up His sleeve for 2009....

No comments: